Friday 6 May 2016

The return of David Levinson: A look towards Independence Day 2 Resurgence ( there may be a few minor spoilers in here folks)

DAVID DAVID! OH CRAP!

        Ever since I first saw Independence Day back in let's say 1998 when I was but 8 years old, I could remember every scene and line and felt the excitement of what a good fun Sci-Fi action movie should be like. Such a simple plot, Aliens come to Earth, they destroy Earth we fight back and we win. Boring right? It's been done right? Sure it has, but not like this.
    Independence Day had a great mix of humour, action and feeling. It had Jeff Goldblum Will Smith, Bill Pullman and Judd Hirsch oh and Randy Quaid! Each brought so much energy and fun to the screen that even at 8 years of age I appreciated all of it. If anything, this movie is proof that anything that has been done before can be still be fun when you have the right mix of talent and story telling focusing the small stuff like character interaction and action sequences. So knowing all this and having watched many times. It remains the only movie I have ever watched back to back in one sitting. I literally hit rewind (cause we had to that back then) and hit play again and watched it over. Hell I haven't even done that with a Star Wars movie (sure I'ved them like a few days to a week apart but never back to back same flick)
  So imagine my surprise and little bit of reluctance when I heard that a sequel was being made. To say I was intrigued is an understatement but when I first saw the trailer I was sold. It feels like they are sticking with the same formula in story telling I mean we had a feeling that the aliens would be pissed off about losing to a species as primitive as ours so of course they'd want to come back and try again. As I stated earlier, it's the characters that played such a part in the first one that the sight of Jeff Goldbum and Bill Pullman show up on screen during the trailer (which can be viewed bellow) made me that little bit more excited for what we will see in June. But wait no Will Smith?! Where is Captain  Hiller! As we find out on the memorial site for the War of 1996, he died in a test flight crash ( we know its because Will Smith was filming for Suicide Squad which is totally okay because yeh...thats another post) But to see young pilot with similar looks to Hiller and doing simple arithmetic we see that his son Dylan is now a pilot! So the Hiller name still lives!
  To me this movie feels like a bit of a family reunion and a check in on how things have been since the invasion. I love seeing that we used the tech left behind to advance our own defence systems because we know, they will come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment